MyFarm offers an amazing opportunity for a truly life-changing African experience; come and stay with us as a volunteer assistant, helping in all aspects of the project, exploring your own potential whilst making a significant contribution to a really meaningful project.
We offer a variety of work and accommodation options reflecting your talents, skills and requirements. Programs can be as short as one week but, if possible, we like you to stay for one month giving you the opportunity to learn the ropes and become a real part of the team.
The ‘Work Options’ we can offer are numerous and diverse, with something to suit everybody. At all times, you will be working under the supervision of a member of staff or trained volunteer – we understand how daunting the first few days in such an exotic environment are so we will be there to support you all the time.
We do not expect you to decide what you will do before you arrive but in our application form you will be ask to indicate your general preferences and skills so we can be sure to offer you suitable activities at the earliest opportunities. There is no minimum requirement for days of work but obviously the more you do, the more it helps!
The following list is only a guide-line to the activities we currently undertake which would benefit from varying levels of volunteer input.
- Education – Make a difference to a child’s life!
- Play supervisor for the local ’drop-in’ children
- Sport & Games supervisor
- English language mentor
- IT assistant
- Teaching assistant
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Gardening/Landscaping – Learn about food production in a tropical climate.
- Tree planting, pruning and grafting
- Nursery work
- General maintenance & clearance
- Record keeping & labelling
- Product Transformation
Many different products are made on the farm – from jam to shoe polish – using a combination of alternative technologies and traditional techniques.
- Drying, preparing, packing, labelling products
- Making soaps, creams, jams etc.
- Assisting in product development
- Business training – Marketing & Sales – we need people with this sort of talent
- Using our training guide, “How to make money”, and assist the youth in their business startups.